Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Life with Charlie

When I was a little girl my family lived in the country. We had pets, but they were all outside, fend for yourself kind of pets. My mother would never even think about having an animal in her home!

So the thought of an indoor pet never really gelled for me until a year ago, when we got our kids a cat for Christmas. We live in Northern Utah and putting a kitten outside seemed cruel so Lola has been in our home ever since. And talk about a fraidy-cat. She is so spoiled, she doesn't even think about going outside!

I've always loved cats and appreciated the way they pretty much take care of themselves. My husband, on the other hand, has always been a dog lover. So after 9 years of marriage, I wanted him to be able to have a dog in his life again.

I was going to surprise him for his Birthday this May, but I can't keep anything from him so I told him about my plan. He warned me over and over about how much harder dogs are than cats but I assured him I was ready.

So for our 9th anniversary we got Charlie...

 
And this is where he always is, right at my feet. But I have to say, I'm in love with this dog! He was sold to us as a Cocker Spaniel Shih-tzu mix. We met his mom, the Cocker Spaniel, Roxy and the dad a Shih-tzu named Maxey.

What? This is what a Cocker spaniel and Shih tzu mix looks like.

Mimi , the Shih-Tzu / Cocker Spaniel mix at 7 years old.

 We asked the owners about why Charlie looks the way he does and they told us he won't get his hair until 5 or 6 months. What????

Oh well, suckers that we are, we took him anyways. We had already fallen in love with his sweet personality and made a connection with him. So what ever he is, we love him. But out of curiosity I did take him to the vet for a DNA test. We won't get the results for a couple of weeks, but were guessing he's part Pit-bull or maybe Boxer. What do you think? He's only 3 months old and his paws are pretty big.

 Charlie's first bath.

 Introducing Charlie to Lola.

 He's such an affectionate dog.

 Micah and Charlie have quickly become pals.

Micah helping Charlie and Lola become friends. Charlie's a little too hyper for Lola's taste, but she's coming around.

 Or is she?

Well, whatever Charlie is remains to be seen, but we do know that we love him and that he's freakin' adorable!!! So yes, you can call it puppy love ;)




5 comments:

  1. He is ADORABLE!!! When we got our two pups less than a year ago we were told they were a Labrador, Cocker Spaniel mix. We could even tell that other pups from the liter had CS in them because of their fuzzy fur. Our dogs are not part CS! The obviously have hound or something besides cocker. A vet told us that a female dog can have a liter of pups with different dads (sperm gestates for a couple of weeks). I think Charlie has some boxer...very, very cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lana. My vet told me that too. My sister who is a nurse said that can happen with humans too.

    Did you ever do a DNA test to find out what your dogs are?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I new it!!!

    (Having been the owner of a pure breed British Cocker Spaniel named Roxy.) Clearly this puppy is going to remain a short hair type of dog which is in no way going to be from a mix of two long hair dogs exclusively.....

    Anyway, when the results come in, I'm hoping for the Boxer and not Pit Bull although I do see that pit bull look pretty easily. Yikes. If so, never put him on a chain. It just adds to the meanness in that breed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that too at first but the trainer you recommended taught me a lot. She said Pit Bulls are actually really smart and can be great pets. It's all in the training they receive.

    He's a really sweet dog and since we already know that, finding out what he is, is just FYI really to satisfy our curiosity. And to give us a heads up on what he will develop into physically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pic u have of the shitzu cocker spaniel mix is my dog Mimi :-)

    ReplyDelete

Most popular posts